Monday, September 13, 2010

Cultural miscommunications

The other night, Lucia took me to a "hippie" party -- the sort of hippie I've grown accustomed to seeing around Buenos Aires and also in my classes at UBA (which is still "tomada", by the way... No classes, but still have a midterm next week?). Anyhow, as we were approaching the party, I asked Lucia where the party was at, as in what type of locale. She said, "un club". Of course, I assumed that she meant a nightclub/lounge-type situation. To me, to Americans, a club is sort of synonymous with that type of going out. When we arrived, we walked into what looked sort of like a high school gymnasium with streamers and a stage set up for the band that was playing cumbia.
At first, I literally thought we were in a nightclub with ironic, deliberate high-school set-up. Ha. Haha. I asked Lucia what exactly kind of club we were in, where the bar was, etc. She laughed and laughed when she realized how deeply confused I was and explained that a "club" in Buenos Aires is a gymnasium.
Not a life-changing story, of course, but I still wanted to point out how funny words can be, especially in disparate social contexts.

Un beso enorme. Gonna go cook some lunch with neighboring friends. It is rainy and cold and I've been on a James Taylor kick all morning. Must get out the house!!

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment