Friday, August 13, 2010

New life word -- "quilombo".

I have come to believe the ardent accounts of those who came to this country before me.... nothing works. Or, at least to the extent that it could, were anything actually looked after. I'm not saying this with bitterness or anything more than mild annoyance + amusement. I have experienced two power outages, several broken escalators, jammed bus and subway doors, faulty cab brakes, and countless futile, half-hearted attempts to revive (the few and far between) computer systems. And recharging my cell phone's pay credit? Usually only works if I wish really, really hard. Oh, and two of my professors just didn't come to the first day of classes. Simply couldn't make it.
That said, I'm getting used to it. They have a word here that I'm falling in love with. Quilombo. It means -- pardon my language -- a clusterfuck. A mild disaster. Chaos that ranges from actual danger to a laughable annoyance. I completely understand why it's a homegrown Argentinean word, though... because it pretty much sums up the organization, or lack thereof, that the city of Buenos Aires employs on an awesomely pervasive scale.
First week of school was fairly successful. I'll have to sit closer to the teacher and just make myself pay attention. It's not as if I can effectively doodle and snag a word here and there to jot down in my notes. Having lectures in the mile-a-minute, nuanced castellano that is spoken here is certainly a challenge. So, the troops must be rallied for that.
In other news, tomorrow I am moving to Boedo. It's a pretty cool area, very close to school, and also close to some of the people from the program I've become buddies with. It will be nice to live within walking/public transport distance of the UBA-Filo campus, and to feel a little less isolated over here in shady ol' San Telmo. Shady, shady. It's a rainy and chilly day here, but I've got plenty to distract myself with.
Until the next time.
Un monton de besos, queridos.

PS Pictures soon! After 7 hours bumbling around at customs yesterday, I've got a snazzy camera... Yes I know, it must be guarded with my life... ch-ciao.

3 comments:

  1. Keep it up, love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nooo you moved that means the card I sent you won't get to you! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahhaa, you already learn on own flesh the word quilombo!, thats great!, now the other word you need to learn, more than a word a phrase, is:
    "Lo Atamos con Alambre"
    It mean we solve it in a second with anything, like McGiver, here in argentina all quilombos are solve like that, you broke your brakes in the bike, no problem, with a fork som cables i do some news brakes for you! Lo atamos con alambre no problemo! hahahahahaa
    The actual problem is the parcial solution it become a final solution for our problems, so the quilombos are never solved!

    xxxxx girls! c-ya soon!

    Ale!

    ReplyDelete